Over on Salt & Fat this week there’s a post about biscuits. I love home-made biscuits. Corn, yeasted, baking soda, you name ’em – I love ’em. I don’t make them often, and rarely plan it when I do.
These come together very quickly. Sometimes I roll and cut them, other times I just make little balls of dough, placing multiple balls in each cup of a muffin tin. The latter makes the dough easier to pull apart.
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ teaspoon soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ tablespoon shortening, oil, or butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Mix all ingredients together to form a soft dough.
- Roll out on floured pastry board to a thickness of 1/2 inch. Cut with biscuit cutter.
- Place biscuits on greased baking pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 15 minutes.